Teach Kids to Deal with Anger

Anger is an issue we all need to deal with. It doesn’t matter if you are 5 or 55, anger is a real emotion which causes us to act irrationally or hurt others. It is something we need to control if we want to live peacefully and joyfully with our family members and friends. As parents, we are the ones responsible in teaching our kids how to deal with anger. I see anger spring up any time of the day between my 2 kids. So the following tips I received from the email have been really helpful. I would like to share it with you.

1. Never argue with children who are angry. Have them take a break and continue the conversation later.

2. Identify the anger cues that reveal your child is about to lose control. Point them out early and stop the interaction. Don’t wait for explosions before you intervene.

3. Help children recognize anger in its various disguises like a bad attitude, grumbling, glaring, or a harsh tone of voice.

4. Debrief after the child has settled down. Talk about how to handle the situation differently next time.

5. Teach children constructive responses. They could get help, talk about it, or walk away. These kinds of suggestions help children to have a plan for what they should do, not just what they shouldn’t do.

6. When angry words or actions hurt others, individuals should apologize and seek forgiveness.

By doing these things you will teach your children to do what James 1:19 says, “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”

This tip comes from the chapter on sibling conflict in the book, Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes, In You and Your Kids by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN.

Comments

1. Mom-Friday says:

I have a very temperamental little girl and I'm glad that with what you have listed above, we are doing the right things.
    But sometimes, we just let her be, crying her lungs out with angry dagger looks, until she calms down.

2. Rachel Joy says:

All great tips. It really is important on training them early in life how to proactively deal with anger. This will definitely avoid unnecessary holes in the walls and broken dishes when they're older…

3. Thanks for the tips Mommy Chris..currently practicing some but needs to try the others.. 😉

4. Help For Families says:

Good read.

It is the responsibility of the parents to teach their children how to control their temperaments so that they will not grow with rage in their hearts. By helping them, they will later able to handle their own emotions.

5. MaiThreeBoyz says:

My Simon has these kinds of angry bouts. The more we try to console him, the more he becomes angry. Lately, I have been trying to just let him cry and wail and when he's sobered up, he'll say, "Mama, punat" meaning "Mama, punas" That is the cue that he's all right and I can wipe his tears away with cloth. It's just so frustrating sometimes especially when he acts like this in the middle of the night. Thanks for the sharing these tips, really helpful.

6. MaiThreeBoyz says:

My Simon has these kinds of angry bouts. The more we try to console him, the more he becomes angry. Lately, I have been trying to just let him cry and wail and when he’s sobered up, he’ll say, “Mama, punat” meaning “Mama, punas” That is the cue that he’s all right and I can wipe his tears away with cloth. It’s just so frustrating sometimes especially when he acts like this in the middle of the night. Thanks for the sharing these tips, really helpful.

7. Mel Cole says:

Good tips. Oh my lil guy has that temper tantrum. He easily gets lose patience. Will try those tips.

8. It is hard to deal with anger when I myself get angry at them easily. I should manage myself first before applying these tips. I’m just glad children are very forgiving beings.