Homeschool Help: Go with a Homeschool Provider or Go Independent

After deciding that homeschooling is for your family, you must now decide whether you want to enroll with a homeschool provider or just go independent.


If you decide to enroll your child with a homeschool provider, you need to choose if you want to go with Dep Ed accredited homeschool provider or home education provider or a school with an international accreditation.  You need to inquire at the school of your choice and follow the requirements set by the school. Please check my post about the different Dep Ed Accredited homeschool providers in the Philippines. Homeschool providers usually will give you their recommended curriculum and you would need to submit grades or other requirements following their timeline. At the end of the school year, you should be able to receive a report card that you can use as a record for your children’s achievement. If you ever want to enroll in a conventional school, you can contact your provider for all documents that your new school might require from your children.


If you decide that you want to take the independent homeschooling route, you just need to make sure that you have a guide like the Department of Education’s Curriculum Guide for each grade level and subject. You can buy curriculum abroad or through local bookstores and keep a record of your child’s activities through portfolios, notebooks, attendance record, books read, grades and other information that schools might need once you decide to enroll your children back to a conventional school. At the end of the school year, your child would need to go to Dep Ed to take some tests. The test can be the Philippine Validation Tests (PVT), the Philippine Education Placement Tests (PEPT) or the Accreditation and Equivalency test (A&E).

My opinion: If you decide to enroll in a homeschool provider, you will have lesser things to think about especially year end accreditation and documents, but it is the more expensive route. I believe that if you are just new in homeschooling, you may enroll so that they can help you establish structures and routines  in your homeschool more easily. If you are the type of person who needs structure, go with homeschool providers, but if you want more freedom, go and be an independent homeschooler! As you reach your 3rd or 4th year, you may wish to research more about going independent. Being an independent homeschooler can give you more flexibility and freedom on how you want to approach your homeschool days, and of course, since you will be dealing directly with Dep Ed eventually, you must be prepared for a more tedious experience as well.



  1. maricel aytona says

    tnx for ur blog, it’ s enlightening, it helps a lot…I want to ask where can I get Deped Curriculum for gr 8 and 9?

  2. I think since first timer kamifor homeschooling, it would be best nga na mag homeschool provider muna kami then later on decide if mag independent. Our case din kc is quite different kasi my son has ASD so may special needs din sya. I will check out your blog about the list of hs providers. Meron na po ba doon na may experience handling sped?

    • Hello Mommy Loi! I think Homeschool Global has a special needs services. You may give them a call or visit their website. Thanks!

  3. Ana Rena Aquino says

    Hi we are from gensan and this will be our first time to homeschool our kids independently. I would like to ask if may need ba kami na ipasa sa depEd proving that we hoschool our kids? Thanks

  4. Helo, I am planning to Homeschool my kids independently… I would just like to clarify about the “year-end tests” that you’ve mentioned. Is it really every end of the school year or only if ever we send them back to regular schools? Thanks!

  5. Your blog helps us to understand keypoints. Our daughter is just 2 yet, and still gathering more info about the homeschooling. Thank you.

  6. Hi maam..

    Thank you for your blog. 1st time po namin mgindie homeschooling from having an acredited provider.
    May need po ba kami isubmit to deped or inform deped na independent kami? Or pwede na diretso based sa sylabus?

    Wat things to submit to deped prior to year end test?

    • Hello! As far as I know, right now, wala pang way to inform DepEd if you are going independent. Aside from taking PEPT later on when you plan to go back to conventional school.

      I heard from a recent DepEd talk that someday, there will be a way for public schools to offer homeschooling as well..

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.